The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dec 11, 1998

First off I wanna thank youfor this forum. You answer are what most of the people who are HIV/AIDS infected need and dont know where to turn. I have a question, what is the time limits for filing a complaint with the EEOC for an employer who I think "possibly" discriminated against me. I think I was forced to quit work, because my employer is self insured and the cost of treatment was an expense for the company. I have an attorney who is dragging her feet and I think she doesnt know where to turn. She is a gay friendly attorney, (there is not alot of them around). I have heard something about a "right to sue" somthing or an other and if the EEOC or somebody investigates and gives me a right to sue I could sue for discrimination But I dont know what they are talking about, I dont wanna wait too long. If the company did this. My sister still works for the company and she was told by a former human resources person (my confidant) that I should look into it but would not give her any specific information she said sonething about the ADA including HIV and disability. the personal manager who did this to me is no longer with the company. I was told she did somethings that "wasnt in the companies best interest". If you could help I would greatly apprectiate it. If not thank you for your time. If they did this to me I really dont want my job back because of the way they did me but I have lost about everything, except my health insurance which I have under cobra for 10 more months. I dont want them to do it again if they did it. the ordeal was exhausting. If you could also give me some numbers where my attorney can seek information about this it would help out alot also. Everyone around here is scared of my employer because it is a world wide company. and they are large. My supervisors at the time when i asked them about possible discrimination before I quit. said I should sue too. I just dont know how to go about it. My SUpervisors knew my HIV status. But after i quit My sister asked them for a letter of recommindation for me and they said they could nt do anything for me on the Company letterhead but they could give me a personal one. But I have letters of outstanding performance before I quit that should help. thanks again I am rambling.

Response from Ms. Breuer

Let's try to sort this out: if you were forced to quit because of your HIV status, then you probably have been discriminated against. Do you have a good history of performance reviews before you left? Can you prove anything about being forced out? Why did you quit? Did you do it in writing?

Once you've quit, it's really hard to pursue something like this. If your attorney needs help determining whether you have a case, she should call her local office of the EEOC (check the local phone book) for advice; they do this all day.

I don't understand the stuff about a letter of recommendation at all. Seems to me that your attorney's time could be well-spent inquiring in writing about a letter of recommendation for you on company letterhead. And I would encourage you to think twice about disclosing your HIV status at your next job unless you know that the managers and supervisors have had HIV education. HOld onto those letters of outstanding performance and look for your next job knowing that you can control whether or not anyone knows your status. And write again if you have more question, OK?

Nancy Breuer

full blown HIV/AIDS in the restaurant industry
Lost job due to HIV

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint