The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Promotion thwarted because of HIV Infection
Mar 4, 1999

I work for a fortune 500 company and I feel I have been denied a promotion due to my HIV status. My boss is already homophobic, many coworkers have gasped at the way he talks to me and treats me. I have brought this up Human resources who "cited" him for unprofessional behavior. I was next in line (due to tenure and experience) for a promotion and was passed up. My boss and some of my coworkers are aware of my HIV status. My boss stated that I was not promoted because of my attendance over the last year. I have never used more days than have been alotted to me, can I do anything about it?

Response from Ms. Breuer

Documentation: Do you have anything in writing? Could you convince an EEOC attorney, for example, that your rights are being violated because of your HIV status? If your case is "he says/I say," then you'll have a harder time. In any case, please contact a local AIDS service organization to ask for a referral to an AIDS-knowledgeable attorney. Such attorneys often work for no fee when it's in connection with an AIDS service organization. Or call the American Bar Association's AIDS Coordination Project in Washington, DC to ask for the name of an HIV-knowledgeable attorney in your area. They're at 202.662.1025. If you can document your statements, you could have a case. Sometimes the problem gets resolved quickly when senior management receives a letter on a law firm's letterhead reminding them of their duty not to discriminate under the ADA.

Nancy Breuer

HIV+ in Human resources
Religion and AIDS

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint