Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Denied a Position

I recently had my review at work and my performance was rated "very good". I was given an outstanding or very good rating in all areas but satisfactory in the attendance area. I have had some problems adjusting to new meds and had to take some sick days at the last minute. These were, however, sick days that I was due. I'm wondering if I should say something about receiving this rating for attendance or just let it go. I dont want it to come back to haunt me later.

Scott

Response from Ms. Breuer

First, is there a standard your employer uses to determine the number of sick days that would qualify someone for the "satisfactory" rating? If so, then you're not in a strong position to question the rating. It might not hurt to ask whether sick leave taken just before the evaluation had an impact on the rating.

The only way to avoid having standard attendance expectations affect your performance evaluation negatively is to identify yourself as a person with a disability that may occasionally require you to take a few days off to adjust medication. You are under no obligation to disclose the diagnosis, but you must self-identify as a person with a disability to expect protection under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Best approach: deliver that information to your employer in the form of a note from your physician. Tell your physician you don't want the diagnosis in the note.

Nancy Breuer

Still wondering....
HIV+ in Human resources