The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I'm over my ten days sick leave
Jul 30, 1997

My name is Robert and I have AIDs. My employer is not aware of my illness. I have had to take a lot of sick days. I have already taken 13 days and it's only July. Can I be fired for taking too many sick days? Should I go on disability? Should I tell my employer and maybe cut a deal. I have no idea which is the best way to go.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

You need to look at the sick leave policy in your company and evaluate whether or not your time off is considered to be excessive. In addition, you need to ask yourself the following questions: Have you had a doctor's notes for your sick days? Has anyone indicated that your time off is excessive? How are you doing your job? Are you meeting the requirements of your job on a timely basis, putting out quality work? The answers to these questions can help guide you in making a decision about your future with the company. If the absenteeism is impacting the quality, quantity and timeliness of your job or you are unable to perform the requirements of your job because of this, you might want to consider going on disability. You do not need to disclose to your employer what your medical problem is, but if you are comfortable discussing with your employer that you have an illness that has necessitated your 13 days off and might result in future days off, you could get a better feel for what your employer's perception is of the situation and this could help guide you in your actions.

-- Lynn Franzoi

Can my employer do this?
Legal Q.

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint