I'm over my ten days sick leave

My name is Robert and I have AIDs. My employer is not aware of my illness. I have had to take a lot of sick days. I have already taken 13 days and it's only July. Can I be fired for taking too many sick days? Should I go on disability? Should I tell my employer and maybe cut a deal. I have no idea which is the best way to go.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

You need to look at the sick leave policy in your company and evaluate whether or not your time off is considered to be excessive. In addition, you need to ask yourself the following questions: Have you had a doctor's notes for your sick days? Has anyone indicated that your time off is excessive? How are you doing your job? Are you meeting the requirements of your job on a timely basis, putting out quality work? The answers to these questions can help guide you in making a decision about your future with the company. If the absenteeism is impacting the quality, quantity and timeliness of your job or you are unable to perform the requirements of your job because of this, you might want to consider going on disability. You do not need to disclose to your employer what your medical problem is, but if you are comfortable discussing with your employer that you have an illness that has necessitated your 13 days off and might result in future days off, you could get a better feel for what your employer's perception is of the situation and this could help guide you in your actions.

-- Lynn Franzoi

Can my employer do this?
Legal Q.