Going on disability

After three years of working in a very stressful environment, I have decided to go on disability. My doctor and my social worker concer and have signed the necessary papers. The compnay policy requires a three month waiting period for payments to kick in. During that time, should I find that my health is better, is it possible for them to deny coverage?

Response from Ms. Franzoi

Yes. Disability policies not only require you to be disabled at the time payments begin but also require that you continue to remain disabled in order to continue receiving the benefits. They can require you to submit to a doctor's examination as proof of continued disability. If you are part way through your waiting period and recover enough to go back to work, you should check the language in your policy to see when it will bridge separate periods of disability for purposes of satisfying the waiting period.

-- Lynn Franzoi

Ohio specific employment rights
Can my employer do this?