The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

being a member of a corporation constitute returning to work
Feb 26, 1998

thinking of starting a corporation but would not be taking a salary nor would i be the only officer of the corporation. does this affect my disability benefits or am i considered still unemployed as long as i don't receive a salary.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

Are you referring to Social Security disability or a private disability plan, or both? If it is Social Security, you need to contact the Social Security Administration and discuss this with them. If it is a private disability plan,i.e. either a policy you purchased on your own or was provided through an employer, you need to review the terms of that policy. Some plans have residual disability benefits that allow a disabled individual to return to work even if working for wage or profit as long as the individual has an income loss of a certain percentage (typically 20% or more). Disability benefits continue for a period of time (typically 12 months) without reduction unless the disability benefits and income exceed 100% of what the individual was earning at the time of disability, After the initial period defined in the plan, there is a reduction. Once again, I suggest you contact the disability agencies and/or insurance carriers or administrators involved.

Lynn Franzoi

job accomodating sick time?
pension plans

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint