Working and Retaining Coverage for Meds

Do you think that there will come the day when people who are "well enough to work" at least part time will be able to do so without risking losing their meds and coverage and ending up back at square one having to reapply for disability and everything? I really miss my work...I was a criminal defense paralegal....I dream of going back to doing what I was good at.

Thanks for considering my question.

Ann Margaret Harper

Response from Ms. Franzoi

Actually, there are opportunities today for an individual to return to work while maintaining disability coverage. If you have either a group or an individual disability policy, it might have a residual disability benefit that would allow you to return to work while still retaining disability benefits. This type of benefit allows an individual to gradually work his way back into the workforce without risking loss of coverage. In addition, if you are well enough to return to work and you went to work for a large company, you should be eligible for disability and medical coverage without providing evidence of good health. However, there would probably be a preexisting condition clause that would apply for a period of time under the disability plan, typically one year. This would require arranging for duplicate disability coverage.

Lynn Franzoi

HOW LONG CAN I STAY ON SSDI?
Family Medical Leave Act