Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Working and Retaining Coverage for Meds
Jun 25, 1998

Do you think that there will come the day when people who are "well enough to work" at least part time will be able to do so without risking losing their meds and coverage and ending up back at square one having to reapply for disability and everything? I really miss my work...I was a criminal defense paralegal....I dream of going back to doing what I was good at.

Thanks for considering my question.

Ann Margaret Harper

Response from Ms. Franzoi

Actually, there are opportunities today for an individual to return to work while maintaining disability coverage. If you have either a group or an individual disability policy, it might have a residual disability benefit that would allow you to return to work while still retaining disability benefits. This type of benefit allows an individual to gradually work his way back into the workforce without risking loss of coverage. In addition, if you are well enough to return to work and you went to work for a large company, you should be eligible for disability and medical coverage without providing evidence of good health. However, there would probably be a preexisting condition clause that would apply for a period of time under the disability plan, typically one year. This would require arranging for duplicate disability coverage.

Lynn Franzoi

Previous
HOW LONG CAN I STAY ON SSDI?
Next
Family Medical Leave Act

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.