DO I QUALIFY FOR BENEFITS?

HI, I AM AN HIV+ INDIVIDUAL, ALTHOUGH I DONT HAVE AIDS BY DEFINITION. I HAVE BEEN PUTTING INTO THE SS SYSTEM FOR AT LEAST 15YRS. THE MEDS I TAKE MAKE IT VERY DIFFICULT TO COME TO WORK AND FUCTION ON A DAILY BASIS. DO I HAVE ANY CHANCE AT QUALIFYING FOR THESE BENEFITS. I ALSO HAVE A LIFE INS. POLICY THRU MY JOB. WHAT DOES SS COVER? WHAT ARE THE STEPS TO START CHECKING OUT MY OPTIONS ANNONYMOUSLY? THANKS

Response from Ms. Franzoi

If you have paid into Social Security for at least 40 quarters and become severely disabled for more than 6 months, you would be eligible for Social Security disability benefits. This would be paid as a monthly benefit. In addition, after you have been receiving Social Security disability benefits for 29 months, you would be eligible for Medicare. You should be aware that SS has a very strict definition of disability. You should discuss this with your doctor. He should be able to advise you whether or not you would quality for SS disability benefits. You should know that SS makes it very difficult to qualify and one often has to appeal several times before obtaining the coverage. Discuss this with your doctor and contact your local SSA office.

Lynn Franzoi

Disability insurance
Need Info on Disability