Disability insurance

Hi, I have been positive about ten years. I've been on the cocktail and two anti-virals for the past few years. The company I work for is planning some major changes and I'm a bit concerned. My continued health, access to benefits and prescriptions depend upon my continued employment. My doctor suggested the idea of looking into disabiility insurance. Where do I go for this? Anyone have details about cost, availability with pre-existing conditions and what it might pay while you're out of work? Thanks

Response from Ms. Franzoi

Does the company you work for offer a group long term disability plan? If so, you should contact the Benefits Manager and find out what you would have to do to enroll. You would probably have to provide evidence of good health and your HIV status could make you ineligible. If your company has an open enrollment that would allow you to enroll, you should take advantage of this.

If you went to work for another company and they offered group long term disability coverage, you would be eligible to apply without providing evidence of good health. However, the plan would probably have a preexisting condition clause in it which would eliminate coverage for an HIV-related illness during the first twelve months of coverage. After that, this exclusion probably would not apply.

In order to research the market place for long term disability coverage, you should contact an insurance broker. With an HIV+ diagnosis, it could be difficult to obtain coverage. The best way would be through an employer-sponsored program that you enroll in when first eligible.

Lynn Franzoi

Poor job review beacuse of HIV
DO I QUALIFY FOR BENEFITS?