The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

When do I identify with disability?
Jan 27, 1999

You often advise people to take advantage of the ADA and identify oneself at work as a person with a disability. Is it a good idea to do this even BEFORE one needs any 'reasonable accomodation'?

Response from Ms. Breuer

Good question. Generally, the best time to identify is the point where you request a reasonable accommodation. An employer could well wonder why you're advising him or her of a disability in the absence of that need. The trick is recognizing when you need the accommodation. Please do not wait until the lack of an accommodation has damaged your performance evaluations. Be alert to the feedback you receive from your supervisor and team members. If you find them expressing a sense that you're not fulfilling expectations, take a hard look at your stamina, mental alertness and other job-related characteristics. If one is slipping, waste no time in talking with your health care provider about resolving the problem or accommodating it. Then, if you do need an accommodation, carry the request to your human resources director in the form of a note from your health care provider. (Remind your health care provider that the note should describe the requested accommodations and explain that you are under treatment for a disability, but should not name the diagnosis.)

Nancy Breuer

Telecommuting - Reasonable Accomodations??
FMLA Problems

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint