Disability (LT)

I have chronic hepatitis-B and am HIV+, for the past year or so I have been having more and more difficulty with the 40hour work week due to fatigue. I push myself to keep going but by the end of the week I am so exhausted that I sleep most of the weekend. Not sure how much longer I can keep this up. My concern is that I will be denied long term disability because my T cells are about 500 and I have no AIDS defining OIs. I know that the insurance compaines try desperately to avoid paying on long-term disability, my concern is not to tip my hand before knowing that I will or cannot be dumped. I have been in this job 4 years now with Aetna PPO coverage, my employer is changing our group policy to United Medical. This also concerns me that the new insurance co. will be able to find a loophole to avoid paying my LTD.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

I am not sure what your question is. If you are wondering whether or not you will qualify for LTD, you should discuss this with your doctor. Most long term disability carriers have similar guidelines for determining disability. If you were to qualify under Aetna's policy and the company changed carriers after your LTD benefits began, they would probably continue to be paid by Aetna. If you have a concern about medical coverage, I am unclear on what it is. Please let me know what your specific concerns are.

Lynn Franzoi

Rehiring Problem
Telecommuting - Reasonable Accomodations??