Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Disability (LT)
Feb 18, 1999

I have chronic hepatitis-B and am HIV+, for the past year or so I have been having more and more difficulty with the 40hour work week due to fatigue. I push myself to keep going but by the end of the week I am so exhausted that I sleep most of the weekend. Not sure how much longer I can keep this up. My concern is that I will be denied long term disability because my T cells are about 500 and I have no AIDS defining OIs. I know that the insurance compaines try desperately to avoid paying on long-term disability, my concern is not to tip my hand before knowing that I will or cannot be dumped. I have been in this job 4 years now with Aetna PPO coverage, my employer is changing our group policy to United Medical. This also concerns me that the new insurance co. will be able to find a loophole to avoid paying my LTD.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

I am not sure what your question is. If you are wondering whether or not you will qualify for LTD, you should discuss this with your doctor. Most long term disability carriers have similar guidelines for determining disability. If you were to qualify under Aetna's policy and the company changed carriers after your LTD benefits began, they would probably continue to be paid by Aetna. If you have a concern about medical coverage, I am unclear on what it is. Please let me know what your specific concerns are.

Lynn Franzoi

Previous
Rehiring Problem
Next
Telecommuting - Reasonable Accomodations??

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.