Trying to start a coffee farm/business

I am a hiv+ father and live on a farm in Hawaii. For the last year we have been planting coffee trees. I am disabled so I hired high schoolers to help. So far we have planted over 2000 trees with the kind assistance of a Kona farmer and friend who gave us the trees. During Christmas we made our first coffee and sent it to friends for Christmas presents, they loved it! I could really use grant money to start a website, buy fertilizer, and somehow find a tractor to help us. Have you ever heard of a HIV+ disabled individual receiving help to start a business. I am not the type of person to feel sorry for myself and I have faith that someday there will be a cure for us, so in the meantime I would rather build the foundation for our rainbow farm so someday even if I dont see the fruits of these efforts my children will. Aloha ni loa. O ka maluhia no me oe. Peace be with you all. Bless you all with a light healing rain.

Response from Ms. Breuer

Dear HIV+ Father and Farmer,

Congratulations on your success! Here is one way to view your situation: You are a successful entrepreneur who needs a loan. There is no reason for your HIV status to become known during the loan process. Why not contact the Small Business Administration? You have reasonably accommodated your own disability and are thriving. Or I would suggest that you contact the National Council on Disabilities in Washington, D.C. to ask about grant programs. They are at 800 Independence Ave., SW, Suite 814, Washington, D.C. 20591. Their phone is 202.267.3846. Or you could try the Rehabilitation Services Administration in Washington, at 202.732.1282. Looking up either one on the Internet could direct you to other possibilities. If neither of those helps, then please call the Workplace Resource service of the National AIDS Fund in D.C. at 202.408.4848 to ask about funding sources for the kind of plans you want to bring to fruition. May a light healing rain bring prosperity to you and your family.

Nancy Breuer

HIV & short term disability
Rehiring Problem