Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Denied Short Term Disability
Jul 26, 1999

At the beginning of this year my company switched insurance carriers and gave the option of purchasing short term disabilty insurance. I was denied this coverage because HIV is a pre-existing condition. I have LTD because the company provides that for all employees and has to offer it to all regardless of any pre-existing condition. The short term disability option was given during the annual open enrollment period. I also have not had to use my health insurance for any HIV treatment because I am in a study that provides for meds, blood work, and Dr.'s visits. The only thing ever charged to my insurance company was my HIV test in May of '98. So technically I haven't been treated for a pre-existing condition in over a year. So, can I be denied short-term disability because I am HIV? And THANK YOU, I just found this web site and this page and ya'll have answered MANY questions! :)

Response from Ms. Franzoi

You haven't provided enough information to fully respond to your question. Is the new short term disability (STD) plan a replacement for an existing plan? If it is a replacement for an existing STD plan and you were covered under that STD plan, coverage should continue under the new plan regardless of your medical status. Is the STD plan a group plan or an individual policy? If it is a group plan, I would question why there isn't guaranteed issue for everyone eligible during the open enrollment period.

However, let me address your more specific question regarding whether or not you have a pre-existing condition. A pre-existing condition is usually defined as any illness or injury that you have received treatment for, seen a doctor for or taken medication for during a specified period of time prior to the effective date of the plan. Even though you haven't seen a private doctor or submitted claims to your employer's health plan, you are under treatment with a doctor and taking medication. Therefore, if the plan has a pre-existing condition clause, you would be considered to have a pre-existing condition.

Lynn Franzoi

Previous
Scared about losing STD/LTD benefits
Next
Denied benefits/workplace issues/housing

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.