Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Returning to full-time work vs. staying on disability
Nov 5, 1999

I'm stuck in the dilemma like so many Lazarus-types. No viral load, CD4 300+, working under the table to preserve benefits, worried that I won't have the energy for full-time work 52 wks/yr and who's going to give me health insurance? If I go to work and have to fill out an insurance questionaire, won't everyone at the workplace end up knowing my HIV status? Thanks for your help. On the edge in Santa Barbara.

Response from Ms. Breuer

First, if you have to fill out an insurance questionnaire to qualify for group health insurance at your place of employment, I'll be surprised and disappointed. The larger the employer, the less likely that you'll face this, but really you shouldn't have to apply for participation in group health insurance. Your "application" is your job interview. You join the group, you enjoy the group benefit.

Second, if you do have to fill out a questionnaire, remember that you can certainly ask questions of the HR department about the purposes of the questionnaire and who sees it. It is always appropriate to remind HR staff (by asking, for one) that employees' medical information is confidential. If there is medical information about an employee in writing, it must be stored in a locked file, separate from the personnel file, to which only the director of HR or some comparable person (such as the occupational health nurse) has access. Such an application would be one of those documents.

If you are asked to complete a questionnaire before a job offer is extended,or as a condition of hire, please contact an HIV-knowledgeable attorney in your area right away. The best place to find this person would be through your local AIDS service organization. One firm, inquiring letter from the attorney to the employer could help not only you, but all who follow you in applying to work there.

Nancy Breuer

Previous
Do you have a disability?
Next
Scared about losing STD/LTD benefits

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.