Please help!

I have asked for accommodation with my employer. I provided a letter from my doctor stating I have an ADA disability and that my main problems connected to my disability are fatigue and medication side effects. I work for a small government agency (a Port District) here in California. The H.R. person said that they need to know if my condition is really and ADA condition. They said they need to know exactly what my condition is. Do I need to tell to get accommodation? Do I need to tell their Doctor that I have HIV? Please answer, I need to get accommodation soon or I will probably have to quit as I do not want to ruin my outstanding work record.

Thank you

Response from Ms. Breuer

You do not have to disclose the nature of your illness. You only have to provide the employer with a doctor's note advising the employer of any work-related restrictions. The employer can send you to his own doctor to confirm that the restrictions are justifiable. However, he doesn't have the right to be advised of your medical condition.

ADAP/Medicare/SSDI+Other Disability
Short Term Psychological disability