Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please help!
Jul 25, 2000

I have asked for accommodation with my employer. I provided a letter from my doctor stating I have an ADA disability and that my main problems connected to my disability are fatigue and medication side effects. I work for a small government agency (a Port District) here in California. The H.R. person said that they need to know if my condition is really and ADA condition. They said they need to know exactly what my condition is. Do I need to tell to get accommodation? Do I need to tell their Doctor that I have HIV? Please answer, I need to get accommodation soon or I will probably have to quit as I do not want to ruin my outstanding work record.

Thank you

Response from Ms. Breuer

You do not have to disclose the nature of your illness. You only have to provide the employer with a doctor's note advising the employer of any work-related restrictions. The employer can send you to his own doctor to confirm that the restrictions are justifiable. However, he doesn't have the right to be advised of your medical condition.

Previous
ADAP/Medicare/SSDI+Other Disability
Next
Short Term Psychological disability

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.