Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Revealing HIV/AIDS during preliminary interviews
Sep 4, 1997

This is a long question. I applied via a phone to a national insurance company for a job as a CSR at a new call center opening in my city. During this phone interview, I revealed my HIV/AIDS status. I had become serioulsy ill 16 months ago and went on disability. I'm much better and have a few contract labor jobs and am now ready for fulltime employment. I feel that I should be up front with a potential employeer so as to not suffer problems later down the road. The company had Interim (a temporary placement agency) call me a few days later. Interim was contracted by the main company to perform intial interviews and data entry testing. Successful candidate files would then be forwarded to the company for further interviews. My day at Interim went like this: When questioned about my most previous work and background, I revealed my HIV/AIDS status to the interviewer. She casually ended my interview and said there was a problem with my scheduled time for taking the data entry tests, and to go speakto the receptionist. The receptionist said they were over booked and I would need to schedule another time but that they didn't have a schedule yet for me to sign up on. Through heavy persistence, I got a new testing time, retuned for the test, and scored 2000 strokes more than the requirement. I also had the required background and excellent references. Feeling that I had been disciminated against, I wrote a letter to the main company. An HR person contacted me, said that he had investigated my claim against Interim, and that Interim denied any discrimination occured. Yet the HR did reveal that had I not written him, my file would not have come to their attention. My interviewer had found my skills lacking. He then asked if I would be willing to interview with a supervisor at Interim in order to give Interim a fair chance in this dispute. I agreed. The interview went very well. A week later, I recieved a letter from the company stating: "Unfortunately, we find that your experience and skills are not the best fit with our emploment needs at this time. This is certainly no reflection on your overall qualifications, but is more a reflection on the difficult task of matching your specific qualifications to our current needs." As I stated before, I have the background experience and education, speed, and excellent references and job history. The company has 150 CRS people now, are hiring new people daily, and plan to employ 500 CRS people by December. What do you think is happening here and do I have any legal options to explore? Please feel free to edit this.

Response from Ms. Gabriel

Because your question is regarding legal options, I am referring it to the section regarding HIV and the Law. I have forwarded your question to them, please check that area for a reply (http://www.thebody.com/cgi/legalans.html#recent). Thank you.

Lynne Gabriel

Previous
Do some states require HIV Disclosure?
Next
When are you required to tell?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.