employer rights

I have recently been diagnosed hiv+ and want to know if I should/need to let my employer know I have contracted the disease?

Response from Ms. Breuer

No, there is no legal requirement that you disclose your HIV status to your employer. If you think you want to do it, please meet first with a lawyer who specializes in HIV-related issues. Discrimination is much easier to prevent than to resolve. You can probably find one at no cost by contacting your local AIDS service organization. If that doesn't work, call the American Bar Association listing (or the Bar Association listing for your state) in your phone book and ask for a referral to a lawyer who specializes in the rights of people with HIV infection. There is no hurry about this; please think about it for a while before you disclose, if you choose to. Be clear about your goals, and know your rights.

Nancy Breuer

employer notified by insurance company
Pre-employment physical