Children with AIDS/HIV in Daycare

I work in a daycare in Ohio. I have heard that it is not required for a parent to notify a daycare about HIV/AIDS status. We take precautions whenever dealing with blood or fluids, but there are often other kids in the room that we have to be attentive to at the same time. Is a parent equired to inform daycare centers about a child's HIV status, or is this covered in the privacy act?

Response from Ms. Breuer

Privacy law protects families from forced disclosure of a child's HIV status. If a parent does tell you, that disclosure is voluntary. You are wise to take precautions whenever dealing with blood or fluids. Because there are often other children in the room to whom you must be attentive, I suggest you turn the experience into a teachable moment: ask the other children why you're using gloves, if they're old enough to respond, or tell them why you're using gloves: we have to be careful around blood/ we never put our bare hands on someone else's blood. You are modeling for them the first aid techniques they will need to use all their lives.

Nancy Breuer

Should I tell?
Other Employees disclosing health status