Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Asked about AIDS during an interview
Aug 13, 1998

I recently had an interview with a prospective employer. The FIRST question asked was "You've just found out that a co-worker has AIDS...How would you feel about working with this person and what would your reaction be?" Myself being hiv pos. I was truly shocked at this question but answered it in a way as not to reveal my own status. I've been wondering if this is maybe a new way of employers trying to find out if job candidates would choke and reveal their OWN status. Of course I didnt reveal my status and answered the question in a compassionate and caring way without revealing anything about myself. If I get this job and my status is found out later, can the employer dismiss me based on that? I may sound a little paranoid but this has been bothering me . I hope its just a case of a compassionate employer and not a way of "tricking" applicants into revealing their status before being hired. Any comments you can give would be appreciated. Thanks!

Response from Ms. Breuer

This is a new one! I think you handled it very well when you responded without revealing your own HIV status. You have no obligation to reveal your status, no matter what the interviewer asks during your employment interview. Any direct question about your HIV status would not be legal, and if this is an indirect one, you have been wise to take the high road by responding compassionately. No, your employer cannot dismiss you later because you did not reveal your status in response to this question. Your employer can ask directly about any limitations on your ability to fulfill the essential functions of the job you're applying for. That question, too, can and should be answered without direct reference to any diagnosis. Refer only to any functional limitations imposed by your condition--if there are any. If there are not, there is no need to raise the issue. You may be thinking about medical history questionnaires for insurance purposes, where it can get you into trouble to lie or withhold information. Job interviews are different.

A third possible explanation of why the employer asked the question could be that there is a person with HIV already on staff, and the employer is unaware enough of confidentiality constraints to think that part of the interview should be "warning" you of that fact. That scenario is familiar to me, unfortunately. If you take the job, I'd be interested to know what you learn on the job! Good luck.

Nancy Breuer

Previous
Changing jobs..am I required to disclose?
Next
Potential Employment; what information does a

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.