Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Changing jobs..am I required to disclose?
Aug 13, 1998

Im at the interview stage of a job search and things look promising. I really want this job but am concerned as to how far I need to go with information when it comes to applying for new medical insurance. Neither my current employer nor my future employer know my hiv status. I tested pos 3 months ago while on the job search. Now Im worried that changing to a new employer will cause problems with health insurance and dont know how to go about asking them without disclosing my status. I know all about COBRA but need to know if the HIV question is still asked on enrollment forms for health insurance or if it is illegal to ask that question and if it is on the form, how do I answer it without my potential employer finding out? I dont want to lie but dont want to give up my rights either. Please help. Interview is approaching fast!

Response from Ms. Franzoi

When signing up for employer-sponsored benefits, including health care, if an employee signs up within 31 days of eligibility, there usually is no requirement to answer a medical questionnaire or provide evidence of good health. The one exception might be a plan provided by a small employer who must get these questions answered on all employees. In terms of an employment questionnaire, the employer cannot ask questions about your medical conditions.

Lynn Franzoi

Previous
wanting to know if I can work in a health care setting after finding out I am HIV+
Next
Asked about AIDS during an interview

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.