Changing jobs..am I required to disclose?

Im at the interview stage of a job search and things look promising. I really want this job but am concerned as to how far I need to go with information when it comes to applying for new medical insurance. Neither my current employer nor my future employer know my hiv status. I tested pos 3 months ago while on the job search. Now Im worried that changing to a new employer will cause problems with health insurance and dont know how to go about asking them without disclosing my status. I know all about COBRA but need to know if the HIV question is still asked on enrollment forms for health insurance or if it is illegal to ask that question and if it is on the form, how do I answer it without my potential employer finding out? I dont want to lie but dont want to give up my rights either. Please help. Interview is approaching fast!

Response from Ms. Franzoi

When signing up for employer-sponsored benefits, including health care, if an employee signs up within 31 days of eligibility, there usually is no requirement to answer a medical questionnaire or provide evidence of good health. The one exception might be a plan provided by a small employer who must get these questions answered on all employees. In terms of an employment questionnaire, the employer cannot ask questions about your medical conditions.

Lynn Franzoi

wanting to know if I can work in a health care setting after finding out I am HIV+
Asked about AIDS during an interview