Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV Disclosure in the Workplace
Oct 7, 1998

I'm a recently diagnosed HIV patient. I've been apprehensive about disclosing my status to my supervisor. One, is it illegal to fire someone because of a HIV positive status? And secondly, can an employer find some other way, to fire that wouldn't be associated with the status report. For example, watching closing every aspect of one's job and looking for a loophole in performance, attendance, etc...thank you

Response from Ms. Breuer

There is no reason for you to disclose your HIV status to your supervisor. Your apprehensions are based on good common sense. Yes, it is illegal to fire someone based on the person's HIV status, but of course a supervisor who really wanted to get rid of you could claim poor performance or attendance problems. So you are wise to remain silent.

The only reason to talk to anyone at work about your disability--which HIV is, in the eyes of the law--would be if you needed a reasonable accommodation to be able to continue to do your job, something like a change in your hours to accommodate fatigue, or more frequent breaks to be able to take medication with food. Even then, you would not have to disclose your diagnosis, only that you have a disability. If you need a reasonable accommodation, do not approach your supervisor, who probably does not have training in how to negotiate a reasonable accommodation. Approach the person who does handle this in your company: the human resources director, or employee health, or the company nurse.

Enjoy your job, and keep your HIV status confidential. That means do not tell co-workers either, because your information could get back to your supervisor that way. You should control whether or not your supervisor knows, not someone else.

Nancy Breuer

Previous
Consent to Investigate
Next
New Job / Frequent Doctor Appts.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.