Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Relationship with coworker and confidentiality
Apr 19, 1999

I work in a major metropolitan area as an emergency medical technician, i was having a relationship with a co-worker and found out i had been infected with the hiv virus. I immediately informed my partner, who did not seroconvert, and now she has been telling people at work in an effort to cause a disparagate workplace and attempting to get me fired. I have filed with the EEOC and made complaints to my employer to no avail as of yet. This has been going on for two years now and im wondering if you have any other solutions you could recomend. Thanks

Response from Ms. Breuer

When you disclose your HIV status to a co-worker, it's not the same as disclosing to a supervisor or manager. The co-worker does not represent the employer the way a supervisor does. If the co-worker tells others, you don't have much control over that. Only when your employer discriminates against you on the basis of your HIV status can you take action. That may be why you are not getting a lot of action from your employer or the EEOC.

From an outsider's perspective, there is one really obvious solution: your workplace needs HIV education, with emphasis on the confidentiality of medical information. Your human resources director should be concerned if there is an employee talking about someone else's medical condition without that person's permission. Have you approached your human resources director yet? Or is there an occupational health nurse on staff? Those professionals' training should alert them to the need to educate employees who are disclosing other employees' medical conditions. Either of them should take the employee aside and educate her about HIV and about medical confidentiality.

In a well-run organization, your co-worker's behavior would be more likely to get her fired, not you.

Nancy Breuer

Previous
Who has the right to know partner's status?
Next
confidentiality issues in regards to HIV positive school students

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.