Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Ethics of AIDS disclosure for massage therapists
Jul 25, 2000

What is your opinion about Massage Therapists disclosing the fact that they have AIDS to their clients? Do the clients have the right to know?

What is the difference between AIDS and HIV?

If the drugs are working and my cell count is up, do I still have AIDS?

Response from Ms. Gabriel

Your question is a very good one -- because it is not a matter of opinion, but one of law. The law says that the right to know is based on the need to know -- disclosure is not necessary unless, in the workplace, there is a "significant risk" of exposure. In the practice of legitimate massage therapy the therapist would not pose a significant risk, i.e., share needles, have unprotected sex with a client. So the answer to your question is NO, the clients has no right to know -- more practically, no need to know.

As to the difference between AIDS and HIV, here's a simple way to think about it. HIV is the virus, AIDS is the diagnosis for the life threatening stage of HIV. Technically an HIV+ test result AND: a t-cell count of 200 or less OR the presence of an opportunistic infection. And the answer to your final question is, if you have ever been given a diagnosis of AIDS, that diagnosis will remain regardless of your current health status (t-cell count higher than 200 or recovery from the opportunistic infection).

Lynne Gabriel

Previous
Health app asks about meds -- can they deny me?
Next
Support for business partners of people with AIDS

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.