Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Insurance Company revealed my status
Dec 12, 2001

My HMO has informed a district meat manager of my HIV status. I am a butcher. Now he has been telling everyone at the two stores that I work at. Is there any legal action I can take for this? I've told no one, and this idiot has been blabbing to all at work. Now I don't want to be there anymore. Please help me!!!!

Response from Ms. Breuer

Please act right away. Go to your director of human resources (or whoever has that responsibility) and tell that person that your rights to confidentiality are being violated by both the HMO and your district manager. Better yet, have that information conveyed to your HR person by a lawyer. Their ignorance could cost you your job, and you need to take the lead. You can find a lawyer who specializes in HIV and discrimination one of two ways: by contacting your local AIDS service organization, or by calling the American Bar Association's AIDS Coordination Project at 202.662/1025. Ask for a referral in your area. Even if you do end up spending some money on a lawyer, it's less than it would cost you to lose your job. Your HR person should read the HMO person the riot act, and your district manager needs to be disciplined immediately for revealing medical information about you without your permission. That is the cause of the vast majority of lawsuits filed in connection with HIV over the last 15 years. Start now to collect or record in a journal any and all information about how this has happened: timeline, how you learned that the HMO told the district manager, especially if you have anything in writing. I wish you well. If this does end up in a suit, you have every reason to anticipate success, but I'd rather just see you keep your job.

And just for the record: your HIV status does not threaten the health of any of your employer's customers. Even if you were to bleed on the meat, that would not put any customer at risk of HIV infection. Your employer has a steep learning curve to climb, and should do workplace HIV education right away. It's amazing what uninformed people can do when they feel threatened. Please keep us posted.

Previous
Looking for an answer
Next
Am I at risk? blood/mouth contact in lab

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.