Medical workplace Issue

I just found out I'm Hiv-pos, and work in an x-ray diagnostic clinic as a tech doing Myelograms, arthrograms etc; sterile procedures. I am awaiting t-cell counts as we speak. I have no clue what all this about. I practice Standard precautions in the workplace setting. i don't intend to share my status with anyone at work. Question is; Can you speak to the issues I've just wrote about above or point me in a direction that I can proceed to inform myself. "Brand New"

Response from Ms. Breuer

Dear Brand New,

Your work and your HIV status and your standard precautions are not a dangerous mix. Keep using the precautions and both you and your patients will be fine. You are wise to plan not to share your status at work; that's a complex decision that requires a lot of thought. (See some of the responses in this forum for an idea of the isssues involved.) But first, you need a resource for HIV-positive health care providers. The best one I know about is the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care, which is for HIV-positive nurses. They take on related issues as well, and are very helpful. Find them at www.anac.org. Also, there's a great tutorial for newly-positive people at www.aegis.com, available right from the home page. Link from there to find other resources. And when you have questions about navigating the workplace with HIV, please come right back here!

Good luck to you,

Nancy

Should people who have AIDS be tagged?
foreplay danger?