The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Medical workplace Issue
Nov 28, 2001

I just found out I'm Hiv-pos, and work in an x-ray diagnostic clinic as a tech doing Myelograms, arthrograms etc; sterile procedures. I am awaiting t-cell counts as we speak. I have no clue what all this about. I practice Standard precautions in the workplace setting. i don't intend to share my status with anyone at work. Question is; Can you speak to the issues I've just wrote about above or point me in a direction that I can proceed to inform myself. "Brand New"

Response from Ms. Breuer

Dear Brand New,

Your work and your HIV status and your standard precautions are not a dangerous mix. Keep using the precautions and both you and your patients will be fine. You are wise to plan not to share your status at work; that's a complex decision that requires a lot of thought. (See some of the responses in this forum for an idea of the isssues involved.) But first, you need a resource for HIV-positive health care providers. The best one I know about is the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care, which is for HIV-positive nurses. They take on related issues as well, and are very helpful. Find them at Also, there's a great tutorial for newly-positive people at, available right from the home page. Link from there to find other resources. And when you have questions about navigating the workplace with HIV, please come right back here!

Good luck to you,


Should people who have AIDS be tagged?
foreplay danger?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint