family medical leave act and newly HIV positive

Hi- I recently converted to HIV positive and a lengthy and difficult seroconversion illness of 3 months. My question is, is it possible to make use of the familiy and medical leave act to get stabalized ih therapy (coping with the shock) and getting started on antiviral treatments so that they become easier to tolerate. I work a fast paced job and I'm concerned about missing meds. I already forget to brush my teeth!

Thanks for your help.

Response from Ms. Breuer

Excellent question. Yes, it is appropriate to use FMLA leave to adjust to antiviral treatment. Please remember that, unlike reasonable accommodation under the ADA, FMLA leave does require you to complete a form that includes the diagnosis. Please find out first how FMLA leave forms are processed at your company so that you can ensure your own confidentiality.

Good luck to you, and keep at it with those teeth! Odds are that, with the improvements in medical care for HIV, you're going to be with us for a good long time and you'll need those teeth!

2 lifes at stake!
Do I have AIDS?