fluid in eye

Dear Nancy, Following the administration of an intramuscular injection to a patient of unknown HIV status i believe i may have recieved a splash of fluid from the needle into my eye. I did not recieve PEP but have tested negative on antibody testing at 3,6 and 7 months. Do you think this is enough testing and can i now get on with my life? Many thanks.

Response from Ms. Breuer

If there are no other risk factors in your life, it seems from your testing record that you have not been exposed and could indeed get on with your life.

Your note doesn't mention whether you think there was any of the patient's blood in the splash, but if you think the splash consisted primarily of the intramuscular fluid you were injecting, then dilution of the blood would be a factor on your side as well.

HIV in vomit??
2 lifes at stake!