Do I have to tell?

Do I have to tell my employer that I have HIV, or can I keep it a secret?

Response from Ms. Breuer

Oh, I wish we could answer this question here and now for every working person with HIV! Your medical information is confidential. You have no obligation to tell your employer, with very few exceptions (surgeon being one of them). You have much to lose by telling your employer, so be very sure about your goals and reasons if you do.

While you're at it, don't tell your co-workers either. Telling one co-worker means telling all of them. Telling your supervisor means telling your employer. If you need an accommodation for your health at some point, then please check the answers on this site about reasonable accommodation. You can negotiate an accommodation without telling your employer the diagnosis.

Privacy is a precious thing. Don't give it away easily.

Wow! Do you think I feel strongly about this? I could tell you very sad stories as the background for those feelings. Please just do your job and enjoy those hours every day when you can simply see yourself as a person doing a job.

MEDICAL EXAM FOR HEALTH CARE WORKER IN FLORIDA
Immigration Advice