ADAP while overseas

I was just diagnosed HIV+. I currently am doing volunteer AIDS work in Thailand. I hope to return to California enrole in the ADAP when I need to start medications. I would like to return to my work in Thailand as quickly as possible after starting the meds. Will it be possible for a friend to pick up my meds, and send them to me in Thailand? Can I get more than a months supply at one time? How often will I need to supply the ADAP with additional documentation? I have a very competent Doctor in Thailand that can monitor my progress while on the drugs. Thank you for any assistance with this unusual situation.

Response from Mr. Berg

Officially, probablly not. The funding is for California residents. Will your plan work... it might. I would think you would have to have a CA doctor prescribing your medications in order to have them filled. Also, I believe you need to re-apply in person for ADAP on an annual basis. You can get information on California ADAP at www.pmdc.org

Response from Ms. Donnelly

You have asked a number of questions. Steve is right that you have to be a California resident to use ADAP. The PMDC site will have information regarding ADAP.

You do have to have a California prescription in order to get drugs. You will have to check at the pharmacy that you would be using to see what type of identification they will need in order to participate in ADAP.

The other thing that you will need to check is whether Thailand allows medications to be mailed into the country. You might want to call Project Inform hotline at 1-800-822-7422 (that number only works in the US) or 415-558-9051 to see if there are local resources that can help answer your questions.

Utterly confused - Please Help!
Getting insurance for immigrants