Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

risk at work? worried
Nov 2, 2001

I work for sheetmetal fabricators and the paperwork that I invoice from nearly always has some smears of blood on it since thay are handling this when the handle the metal and also the truckdrivers handle this when they are delivering the sheetmetal products that are sharp.

Is there a high rish of infection with HIV or Hepatitis from the situation I describe? Most of the blood is dry by the time I get it.

Regards

Worried Worker

Response from Ms. Breuer

Good question. Bloody paperwork is never fun. Bank tellers often pose the same question. Here's a short answer; you can find more information about blood on this site and on others.

HIV is not a risk in dried blood. HIV cannot sustain exposure to oxygen.

Hepatitis B needs to be activated by moisture and have a point of entry into your bloodstream to pose any threat. If the dried blood stays dry, and you bandage any cut on your hands to protect them, then you substantially lower your risk from hepatitis B.

There are cases of hepatitis B infection from blood-smeared medical files (manila folders), for example, when the blood-smeared portion of the folder itself caused a paper cut that went untreated. Obviously, if you do get a paper cut from the papers you handle, wash the cut right away with soap and water, then bandage it. These normal precautions should be all you need. If you would be more comfortable with more detail, please address a question directly to one of the physicians at this site. Thanks for writing in.

Previous
shaking hands
Next
I don't like working with these people.e

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.