SSDI and additional disability coverage?

I am a healthy poz guy and am not in any time soon going on disability, however should I have to in the future I am curious as to how SSDI calculates its benefits. I do not have long term disability coverage through my primary employer, however I do have coverage through a part-time job as an adjunct professor at a NY State University equal to onethird my annual salary. I believe ths is tied into my pension fund since I never signed any forms fr disablity insurance through the AFT Union which I am a member. Would this be in addition to my SSDI or would SSDI deduct what I get from the AFT and give me the balance? Thanks for answering this. AP

Response from Mr. Berg

There really isn't a simple calculation method to determine your SSDI benefits. I would suggest you call the SS Administration at 800-772-1213 or visit www.ssa.gov to request an estimate on you disability benefit. To my knowlwdge, SSDI benefits are not reduced by private disability plans.

In terms of your private disability coverage, you need to review your summary plan description (spd) for the offset provision or coordination of other income benefits to determine the impact of receiving both benefits. Generally, your private disability plan will allow you to keep the full monthly SSDI benefit and reduce the amount they pay you each month so that the combined total of disability income doesn't excced the income % they would pay if they were your only source of income. Without reading your policy, I really can't tell you if the two income benefits are offset or compounded.

Cofused about short and long term disability
Long Term Care