Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

SSDI and additional disability coverage?
Oct 30, 2001

I am a healthy poz guy and am not in any time soon going on disability, however should I have to in the future I am curious as to how SSDI calculates its benefits. I do not have long term disability coverage through my primary employer, however I do have coverage through a part-time job as an adjunct professor at a NY State University equal to onethird my annual salary. I believe ths is tied into my pension fund since I never signed any forms fr disablity insurance through the AFT Union which I am a member. Would this be in addition to my SSDI or would SSDI deduct what I get from the AFT and give me the balance? Thanks for answering this. AP

Response from Mr. Berg

There really isn't a simple calculation method to determine your SSDI benefits. I would suggest you call the SS Administration at 800-772-1213 or visit www.ssa.gov to request an estimate on you disability benefit. To my knowlwdge, SSDI benefits are not reduced by private disability plans.

In terms of your private disability coverage, you need to review your summary plan description (spd) for the offset provision or coordination of other income benefits to determine the impact of receiving both benefits. Generally, your private disability plan will allow you to keep the full monthly SSDI benefit and reduce the amount they pay you each month so that the combined total of disability income doesn't excced the income % they would pay if they were your only source of income. Without reading your policy, I really can't tell you if the two income benefits are offset or compounded.

Previous
Cofused about short and long term disability
Next
Long Term Care

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.