Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please help me. Really concerned for friend
Oct 26, 2001

I am sorry to ask a question that not really has anything to do with the workplace. But I would appreciate it if you are able to help in any way. My concern is as follows: Can HIV infected pus secreted from pimples or acne cause HIV infection if it got into the body? I am concerned as I might be infected with HIV and I am very prone to acne outbreaks, where the pimples sometimes break secreting pus. I am not very careful about this and sometimes touch the pus without wahing my hands. Recently, this happened and I was holding a can drink for my friend. At our workplace. My concern is what if my hands which had came into contact with my pus and I touched the rim of the can and my friend drank form it? Will she get infected this way? My HIV status is not known yet and there is a high chance that I am not infected. But the question now is what if I am? Have I brought calamity upon my friend? I really regret not being more careful, but sometimes things just slip my mind, especially when I am likely to be HIV free. I am rather absent minded and never meant to put my friend at risk in any way. I have not voiced my concerns to her, for fear of putting her at constant worry. Is she in any form of danger? Please help me by answering this question.I should really hate myself if I gave my friend HIV if I really am infected

Response from Ms. Breuer

You may not believe this, but I've actually been asked this question before, and I turned to my favorite HIV physician advisor for help. He told me that the white blood cells in pus are essentially dead white blood cells, and carry no risk of transmission. You have not put your friend at risk.

But I am concerned about you. I may misunderstand your letter, but it sounds as though you often feel you are at risk. Even though treatments have improved, HIV is a great infection not to have. Please protect yourself. Learn everything you can about transmission, at this website and others, okay? You're worth it.

Previous
Can you help please?
Next
It wasn't intentional

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.