irony at its best

I have been a healthcare provider ( for hiv pts)for 7yrs.I was diganosed hivpositive 7months ago.I been doing good until I stop and think about it,no one knows that is what is killing me.How can I not understand what is happening and what is waiting for me in the future when I seen and suffered with people who I cared for.The guilt and fear of changes from your love ones is what has me hiding the pain that I keep inside.I know what I have to do as to keep living a healthy life,but how can I stay strong and build up courage to tell the one's I love that I am now who I cared for for so many yrs.Im confused and need to let this out.thank u for your attention. IRONY AT ITS BEST,to say the least.

Response from Mr. Shernoff

I understand your pain at being HIV postive now. It sounds like you need alot of emotional support. This is very understandable. I suggest that you begin by going to your employee health service and speaking to one of the EAP professionals. If you are not comfortable disclosing the specifics of what is going on with you to him or her then please ask for a referral to a mental health profesional who you can begin to talk with and confide in.

If your family is loving and supportive there is no reason to believe that upon learning this information that they will react any diferently to you having this condition. It sounds like you have alot of guilt and shame and that is the real and biggest problem at this time. It will be important for you to get professional help in working through those feelings so that when you do feel ready to share your health status with family and other loved ones, you can do so from a place of strength and self acceptance.

Please seek out the help you need and deserve to have.

Best of luck.

Michael Shernoff

Needle Stick HIV/Hep exposure
Can you help please?