My employer and co-workers found out I have hep C

Hello: I have had HEP C for 14 years. I live a clean life,( no drugs,liquior, or unsafe sex). I'm married with two children. I work for a world wide company. I was respected and considered highly needed by my company and peers. In Feb. of this year I had to stop working and start treatments with Interferon and ribiviran. My liver is in bad shape and I quite ill. When I had to inform my company about my leave for medical treatment, the process required me to request documents from my direct supervisor. This included the medical evaluation and expected time off forms. The supervisor would then foward the forms to the HR-Rep to process. I completed the forms,and had the Doctor fill out the medical form. The documents were mailed. After a week I found that the e-mails from my co-workers had stopped and suddenly any communications had ceased. I did'nt think to much about it as I was to ill from the treatments and Illness. A couple of months went by and I called my supervisor to see how everyone was and just to keep in touch. I was hopeful that I would be feeling better after the 6 month treatment and told the boss I hoped to return then. He said " we all thought that you would have withered in weight and be half dead by now" then he told me that prior to him letting me return to work even if I was released by my doctor, I would have to get by the company doctors evaluation. The matter only gets worse from here. My STD pays were held for 1 month on several occassions and now the company has declaired me ineligable for LTD sighting a pre-existing condition clause. I have to go through a 90 day appeal process which will reveal the pre-existing condition clause does'nt apply. The problem is that durin this time I will have to pay for the medical contributions normally deducted from my weekly pays. The HMO has a policy that it can cancel a member for untimely payments of policy bills. Since the Short term carrier has already caused me to be late a total of 7 times, and since the company had me listed as a paid leave, I could not arrange to pay my contributions until such time that the carrier either continued the claim or denied it for some reason.I hope others can see from this that people are not educated when it comes to blood and other deadly conditions.I have come to feel like a leaper and my family is suffering. The private school my daughter attends has two parents who work for the hospital here local. They also attend our church. I discovered last term that the child of these parents were told not to play with my little girl. Prior to me becoming ill and having the blood work and biopsy done at the hospital, these two kids were best school pals. This year we will sent her to a different school. The Government can pass all the anti discrimination laws it wants. In the end it's just a smoke screen that looks good on paper. I sit here sick as a dog, seeing each day another technical play used by this medical system and powerful company to gracefully cure the problem by getting rid of the patient.My kids won't go out and play and my wife sits with her head down in fear of losing her man. People are people. No matter who you share you medical information with, chance is others will find out.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

This is a difficult one to respond to. There are so many things that went wrong. I think you need an attorney, someone who specializes in employment law and benefits. If you let me know what area you are in, I could try to help you find an attorney. Otherwise, I suggest you call a local Legal Aid Association to get a referral to an attorney.

HIV+RN,SSDI,diffuculty returning to work
Needle Stick HIV/Hep exposure