Cofused about short and long term disability

I am confused about my disability situation. I was diagnosed with aids 6 months ago and recieved automatic bi-weekly payments from the EDD. They have now sent me a form which requires me to sign a declaration every one or two weeks. Why is this? Does this mean my Doc has said something to them that I don't know about?? Also I am relatively new to the States and do not know the difference between short and long term disability. All I know is that I filled a form and am being paid benefits on the basis of my last job's salary. How do I apply for long term disability? Thanks

Response from Ms. Franzoi

Although you didn't specify the state, I am assuming you are in California. In California, EDD pays both unemployment and short term disability benefits. Based on your question, I don't know why EDD is providing you benefits - is it for unemployment or for short term disability. For California state disability, benefits are available for up to 26 weeks. Long term disability is not a state program. If your employer offered a long term disability program and you enrolled in it, you would be eligible, provided that you are disabled as defined in the plan. You should have a summary plan description (an employee handbook) which explains this benefit. If you are eligible for long term disability coverage through your employer, you will have to contact your employer to find out how to apply, what the waiting period is, etc.

SSDI Cost of Living Increase
SSDI and additional disability coverage?