HIV and blood test

About 9 months ago I had blood taken at a lab where they used the yellow thing they put the needle through to take your blood. I saw what appeared to be blood on the yellow thing. If it was in fact blood, what are my chances of getting HIV from it? Also when my blood test came back it showed slightly elevated WBC, but I had been sick with the flu about a week or two before getting the blood test and the doctor said this was the reason for the WBC being elevated is this true or could it be a sign of HIV. Thank you.

Response from Ms. Breuer

It's impossible to diagnose HIV from symptoms. It can only be diagnosed with an HIV test. The situation you describe would not be a risk for HIV if you're talking about blood on the outside of the "yellow thing." You could only have acquired HIV in that scenario from the needle, and needles are not reused. In fact, in many settings, they're impossible to use twice. Did you have your blood drawn in the US? If so, it was a new needle.

Please put yourself at ease and get an HIV test. When it comes back negative, you'll feel so much better!

ITCHY SKIN!
Cut by sharp object