hiv survival

I have a silly question for you. Is it possible if my work scrubs touch the outer edges of my clothes washer for there to be hiv on my washing machine thus when I pull out my clean clothes they may get reinfected? I try to be careful when putting my clothes in but I find myself rewashing clothes if it so much as touches any part of the outer area of the machine because I am afraid hiv may be on there. This really makes getting laundry done hard. Your insight would be appreciated. alsoan hiv be tracked into a home if there are dried bodily fluids on your shoes and you walk inside. My work shoes are removed before I go into my house but if I wear other shoes I think I could get dried fluids on these as well from my car because my feet touch the pedals. I am making myself crazy with worry over these situations and I know that I am being excessive but hiv terrifies me.

Response from Ms. Breuer

Your answer is right there in your question. Yes, this worry is excessive. I'll bet you know that there are lots of sources of HIV information, and they all make it clear that the virus does not survive exposure to oxygen. You are smart to wear different shoes at home from the ones you wear at work, but that's because of other pathogens, not HIV.

Please remember that HIV is basically a sexually transmitted disease, or a disease transmitted between people who share needles. If it were transmittable by the means you are describing, we'd all have it by now.

Please think about why HIV terrifies you so much. It isn't germ warfare. It's a bloodborne pathogen, like hepatitis B and C, except much harder to transmit. If you continue to worry this much, please get help. Your worry is interfering with your life, and life is too precious to waste it worrying about a non-risk, okay?

CMV Students in Public School
dried, cracked hands & hiv exposure