CMV Students in Public School

I am a public school teacher.One of my new students has CMV. This child has no control of her body functions, erractic behaviors and is physically challenged and mentally handicapped, is totally dependent for self care needs. What do I need to know for my safety and other individuals in my work place especially those women that are pregnant ressponsible for her direct care.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Daycare workers and other personnel who attend to bodily functions should be scrupulous about washing their hands after contact with/cleaning up a child who is excreting CMV; disposable gloves would be useful as well. Pregnant women should not be performing such duties, even with disposable gloves, because the risk of potential infection to the unborn child is too great (I'd wager that your CMV+ student is the way she is because of congenital CMV infection).

Question For Nancy
hiv survival