PLEASE HELP ME I AM DESPRATE

I AM DENTAL ASSISTANT AND I GOT STABED WITH A DIRTY NEEDLE FIVE MINUTES AFTER IT HAS BEEN USED. I AM SO AFRAID I GOT INFECTED I DIDNT SLEEP FOR THREE NIGHTS. DENTIST THAT I WORK FOR TELS ME THAT HIV VIRUS DIES OUTSIDE OF THE BODY WITHIN 30 SECONDS. IS THAT TRUE? PLEASE HELP ME, I HAVE A SMALL SON, IDONT KNOW WHAT TO DO.

Response from Ms. Breuer

Please get a good infectious disease specialist on the phone now and get some advice. You may be advised to take anti-HIV medications for the short term, just as a preventive measure. That's up to the specialist. No more sleepless nights, please: take action to protect yourself!

Your dentist is incorrect when the blood in question is inside a needle and syringe. The chance that you might have been exposed to HIV-contaminated blood is extremely small, but worth checking out so you can relax.

Please do not be concerned about your small son's health. You cannot transmit a bloodborne infection to him through ordinary contact, short of breastfeeding.

You've had an occupational exposure. Hospitals are set up to deal with that. Go!

could still be employed
Please help me.