going off disability

hi, could you please give me information about going off disability and returning to work. Would I still be able to have my medication paid for? Doctor's visits, and what if I get sick again? thanks.

Response from Ms. Donnelly

The answer to this question varies because it depends on what type of benefits you are currently receiving. It is also important that you have been out on disability for at least one year before returning to work if you want to keep some of your benefits. If you are considering returning to work, the best thing you can do is consult with a case manager who knows benefits or a qualified benefits counselor. If you have any trouble locating one, call the Project Inform hotline at 1-800-822-7422 and the operator will assist you in identifying some local assistance.

To give you some idea of the differences, if you are on Medicare and receive SSDI, you have a trial work period, a grace period and an extended period of eligilibity. If you are on Medicaid and you recieve SSI, as long as you continue to receive some SSI, even if it is only $1, you are still eligible for Medicaid. There are other ways that you may be eligible for Medicaid by paying a share of cost. There are income and asset requirements that can differ state to state. So, you can see that it is very important to get information that fits your individual case before you make any final decisions about returning to work.

Doctors in the Area
Buying Meds in Canada