Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

possible exposure while having labs drawn at dr's ofice
Aug 31, 2001

I had blood taken at the Dr's office today. The phlebotomist placed the gauze pad on the arm board that she used after finishing the lab draw to apply pressure to stop the bleeding. I looked down & saw red specks, presumably blood on the arm board after she had placed the gauze pad over my lab stick site. I am a nurse so I have a very heightened awareness of hiv & I am terrified of possibly acquiring HIV. I am also 6 months pregnant. Thanks for your time & for helping to alleviate the fears of many.

Response from Ms. Breuer

Pregnancy certainly heightens awareness of possible risk, doesn't it? I find the order of events a little confusing in your question, but red flecks on the arm board would have been your blood (no risk to you) or dried blood, and HIV does not survive exposure to oxygen in a small blood spatter for more than a few seconds.Please put your mind at ease about this. It might help to talk with the phlebotomist again, too. She or he probably has experience helping people overcome a range of fears related to the procedure.

Previous
I think I was pricked by a needle
Next
clarification regarding exposure after lab draw

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.