Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Drink Scenario
Aug 27, 2001

Hi,I'm not sure who to ask this question to, but I have been sitting at home crying about my situation for the past day. Therefore, I feel like I should ask somebody. Last Thursday night, I went to a concert. My friend and I ran into a guy at a bar, who seemed pretty sweet. At one point he wiped something on the bartender, and when she asked what it was he said it was blood. She started laughing and went on with her job. Later on I ordered a soda. When the bartender was done pouring it, he handed the drink over to me. Now, I don't know if his finger went into the drink or if his hand came into contact with anything, but I'm completely freaking out thinking he could have gotten blood into my drink somehow. I shook his hand later on that night and there was nothing on it, but I still don't know. Should I go in to get an HIV test for this? I know that I should probably wait six months because the results will not be accurate, but I want to know. I keep going over the night over and over again, making myself sick. It probably sounds silly, but I would really appreciate an answer.

Response from Ms. Breuer

No, it doesn't sound silly. It sounds human.

There's only one reason I would advise an HIV test at some point: to put your mind at ease. No one among the more than 700,000 Americans who have acquired HIV over the years has acquired it from a contaminated finger in a soft drink. While that wouldn't be very hygienic, it also doesn't qualify as "receiving a contaminated blood product," the mode of HIV transmission that comes closest to your scenario.

If this answer doesn't help to put your mind at ease, please do see an HIV test counselor, whether you actually take the HIV test or not. A trained counselor might be able to ease your anxiety better than a person on a website.

Okay?

Previous
sex in workplace
Next
Thank you, Nancy!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.