Drink Scenario

Hi,I'm not sure who to ask this question to, but I have been sitting at home crying about my situation for the past day. Therefore, I feel like I should ask somebody. Last Thursday night, I went to a concert. My friend and I ran into a guy at a bar, who seemed pretty sweet. At one point he wiped something on the bartender, and when she asked what it was he said it was blood. She started laughing and went on with her job. Later on I ordered a soda. When the bartender was done pouring it, he handed the drink over to me. Now, I don't know if his finger went into the drink or if his hand came into contact with anything, but I'm completely freaking out thinking he could have gotten blood into my drink somehow. I shook his hand later on that night and there was nothing on it, but I still don't know. Should I go in to get an HIV test for this? I know that I should probably wait six months because the results will not be accurate, but I want to know. I keep going over the night over and over again, making myself sick. It probably sounds silly, but I would really appreciate an answer.

Response from Ms. Breuer

No, it doesn't sound silly. It sounds human.

There's only one reason I would advise an HIV test at some point: to put your mind at ease. No one among the more than 700,000 Americans who have acquired HIV over the years has acquired it from a contaminated finger in a soft drink. While that wouldn't be very hygienic, it also doesn't qualify as "receiving a contaminated blood product," the mode of HIV transmission that comes closest to your scenario.

If this answer doesn't help to put your mind at ease, please do see an HIV test counselor, whether you actually take the HIV test or not. A trained counselor might be able to ease your anxiety better than a person on a website.

Okay?

sex in workplace
Thank you, Nancy!