Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Very Frightened! Contact with stranger's blood
Aug 21, 2001

Upon cleaning a ladies bathroom in an office building, I lifted the toilet seat to clean the bowl. There was not a substantial, yet noticeable blood under the seat. I had a non bleeding, although visible cut on my thumb and I just don't know if I touched the blood! Was I at risk for HIV? I am concerned, due to my cut thumb which was not covered. I do not know how long the blood was there, also approx. how long does it take blood dry outside of the body? I am most concerned, due to my injuried thumb. Thank you so much for your response.

Response from Ms. Breuer

First, let's make a deal. Given your work, let's make a deal that you'll cover all your hand cuts with a bandage in the future, okay? This is way too much stress to endure repeatedly!

Second, if your cut was old enough that it wasn't bleeding anymore, then the blood you touched probably had no way to get into your own bloodstream. If your cut had been open, you would have been at some risk for hepatitis B. That's why I'm asking you to cover your cuts in the future. But any HIV in exposed blood would dry up as the blood dries up.There is no record of anyone getting HIV from the kind of contact you describe.

Please just take this as a good reminder to cover those cuts. I think you're fine. But if worry still nags at you, go to your local HIV testing center and get a test when it's been 12 weeks since the exposure. You'll feel better.

Thank you for writing.

Previous
my email
Next
Scenario for you

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.