Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

what to do if my job finds out my husband and I are HIV+
Aug 13, 2001

Just that, what do I do if my employer finds out that my husband and I are HIV+. My husband is saying that we should get an attorney now which specializes in wrongful discharge. But I want to know what you think.

Response from Ms. Breuer

Let's back up. Who knows about your HIV status? Have you talked with everyone who knows about the confidentiality of medical information? Do they have enough HIV education to override the temptation to tell others, "just for their protection"? How would your employer learn of your status?

You have a couple of alternatives. One is to take all the steam out of the rumor (if there is one) by disclosing to the director of Human Resources at your job. Remind that person that s/he is required to keep medical information confidential and send a follow-up memo stating that you have met, that you discussed your medical condition and that your health care provider says there are no functional limitations at this time. The other is to do the hardest thing we human beings are asked to do: keep your mouth shut. If you need reasonable accommodation at work under the Americans with Disabilities Act, bring in a note from your physician stating your functional limitations (what you can't or have a hard time doing because of your medical condition), what accommodation you are requesting, and that you are being treated for a disability under the ADA. Make sure the note does NOT contain the diagnosis. No one at work needs the diagnosis.

Do you need a wrongful discharge attorney now? I would say no, but I do encourage you to seek legal advice from an HIV-knowledgeable attorney. You can find one through your local AIDS service center or through the American Bar Association's AIDS Coordination Project, 202.662.1025. Often this help is available at no or low cost.

In the meantime, make sure you have copies of all of your performance reviews. If you receive a negative review, do all you can to improve in that area. Ask for advice about improvement in writing. Make it clear that you want to do an excellent job at work. Do not give your employer a reason to think about letting you go because of poor performance. Keep the focus on your productivity, not on your diagnosis. I wish you both well.

Previous
help me please anxious after needle stick injury
Next
RE: MD With HIV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.