Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV in a freezer -2
Aug 4, 2001

Hi Nancy, you answered a question regarding the survival of HIV in a freezer. Thanks for your answer. But on reading some other responses on other forums, some of the experts say that HIV survival when frozen can be forever. So does freezing in this way (tiny trace of blood on a freezer shelf) still de-activte the virus by drying it out? Suppose HIV were to survive in such an environment, would it maybe have to be in an air-tight container or something? I hope you can explain further, and I'm really greatful for your response - you and the other experts are doing a great job! Thanks.

Response from Ms. Breuer

Thanks for the feedback. When some of the experts say HIV survival when frozen can be forever, I would agree--in most cases. My background in the Red Cross, for example, provides the information that HIV in a frozen blood or tissue donation would remain a risk indefinitely if it were transfused/transplanted to someone else. But those are large amounts of liquid or tissue, carefully sealed for freezing. I'm not aware of any research on a trace amount of blood left in that environment just exposed on a shelf, and I doubt very much that the same answer would apply. But we've come to the end of my knowledge.

Previous
MD with HIV
Next
New Company - Guideline for HIV in the Work Place

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.