USA regulations for HIV+ foreigners

This is sort of work-place related.

I am a Canadian and have to travel to the US for my work several times a year. I know that HIV-infected people are at least theoretically forbidden entry, unless they obtain some special waiver.

Normally, I never worried and went trought customs with my stock of medication.

But now I will be starting a new medication requiring injection and must carry many seringes and paraphenalia (spelling!!!). So it is quite likely I will be questioned at some point.

Do you know what the actual legal limitations are, and how one can deal with these regulations? I don't particularly feel like telling my employee (here) that I cannot travel to the US for a routine business trip.

This is ridiculous. If it were to have no impact on my livelihood, I would just abstain from visiting your country...(take no offence, I think you understand my opionion).

any information or referal to another source would be greatly appreciated.

Response from Ms. Breuer

Thank you for your question. I wish you had no need to pose it.

My research confirms my first instinct in preparing your answer: always carry a photocopy of the prescription with you when you travel with medical paraphernalia, and even a note from the prescribing physician about the fact that the medication is for a bona fide medical condition for which you are in his/her care. But you need more than that. The best site my business partner and I have found to address the issues of Canadians traveling to the US is www.aidslaw.ca, a site which has specific information on HIV and US Customs, as well as a way to contact them with specific questions. Also, www.aegis.com has a page dedicated to travel to the US: www.aegis.com/topics/2USA.html.

Beyond that, what would you think of shipping your supply of drug and injection equipment to an AIDS service center near your US destination? Once again, I would encourage putting a photocopy of the prescription into the container each time.

Good and safe travels. I look forward to the day when you and colleagues around the world will not face such restrictions no matter where you travel.

Nancy

private school and discrimination?
What Questions Should I ask?