Contradiction?

Hi.

I noticed in this forum, ther are answers to how long HIV in a few drops of body fluid can survive when expose to the air. It is claimed that the virus cannot tolerate exposure to oxygen. Yet this is somewhat confusing as I thought blood has oxygen in it and this is one of the conditions for the blood cells o survive and hence allow a suitable environment for the HIV to live! So is there some contradiction somewhere as exposure to oxygen would just porlonged the lifespan of the virus in the open then? ANd yes, I can't seem to find any data that addresses the issue of lifespans of the HIV in the open. Are you able to provide mw with any websites that addresses this?

Response from Ms. Breuer

Your question about oxygen is one that confused me until I posed it to an HIV doc, who explained that oxygen in the blood is bound to hemoglobin, and isn't freely available as oxygen in air is. I wish it were available and effective! As to a site that addresses the ability of the virus to sustain exposure to oxygen, I would try www.hivandhepatitis.com. Their site is easy to navigate and addresses a range of medical questions about both conditions. Or you could pose the same question about a site recommendation to one of the physicians available to you at this forum. I am not a doctor and am not as familiar with which sites do the best job on these kinds of "chemistry" questions.

Radiography and HIV
Government Workers