HIV+ Nurse

I am an RN in a large cardiology hospital based practice. I am currently in school working on my BSN degree with the intent of going to PA school or CRNA school. I do not feel I am a risk to any patient, whether placing an IV line or catheter, or assisting with invasive procedures. Should I reconsider my future plans? I am worried no one will hire me or that there my be legal issues surrounding practing in these fields?

Response from Ms. Breuer

We really need good RN's and PA's, and your HIV status should not be a barrier to your practicing. I would suggest talking with the American Association of Occupational Health Nurses, whose headquarters is in Atlanta. In conversation with them, you can learn about typical hospital board policies--and that's where the decisions about HIV+ staff tend to be made. Their phone number is 770.455.7757, and their website is www.aaohn.org. I've done some work with them, and found them knowledgeable and helpful. Ask for someone who can talk with you about any limitations on the functions of an HIV positive nursing professional.

Aids in the workplace
Exposed to secretions