Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

sharps accident at work
Jul 18, 2001

I have been covered by workman's comp insurance after a sharp's accident at work with an HIV + patient. I remain negative for the virus after 5 months of testing. I have my final test in one month and would like to purchase my own self employment insurance. I noticed the question,"Have you taken any HIV medications in the past 5 years" on insurance applications. Will I experience discrimination in obtaining self employment insurance even if I test negative after 6 months? I know that the Workman's Comp Insurance will want to be rid of me. Do they have any responsibility toward me, if I have to pay higher permiums? I am concerned because my workman's comp lawyer seems unconcerned or ignorant about this. It is my understanding that "all is well" if I test negative at 6 months. Please comment.

Response from Mr. Berg

Unfortunately, I have no background in Workman's Compensation and cannot comment. In terms of your private insurance, you will have some explaining to do, but I would think that they could not deny you on exposure and preventative measures alone. I would contact your Department of Insurance and run the senario by them as well as another attorney. This is alot like the issues surroundiing genetic testing.

Previous
LTD preexisting condition,Please post
Next
Can my healthcare provider disclose my status to my employer?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.