Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

WORKING IN FOOD PLACES WHEN YOU WORK ALL LIFE??// EVER BODY SAY NOa!!!
Jul 12, 2001

HI,I JUST FOUND OUT THAT I GOT HIV+. I BEEN WORKING WITH FOOD ALL MY LIFE. FOR OUTSIDE PEOPLE IN DIFFERENT PLACES IN THE PAST. NOW I WAS TRYING TO GET A JOB AT MY CHURCH IN THERE FOOD PLACE!! BUT I DID TOLD THE PASTER AND SOME BUT I I FEEL LIKE I'M BEEN CAST OUT OF THE THING I DO BEST AT ... YES I GET FEELING DOWN.DO I TELL OTHER PLACE THAT I'M ++++ + OF OUTSIDE PLACE. WANT REAL MAKES A DIFFRENT AT HOME OR FOOD PLACE OF THE UNREAL WOURLD WHO GET SO FEAR OF THAT PERSON!!!!

Response from Ms. Breuer

You probably should not disclose your HIV status to a prospective food service employer. Certainly there is no legal requirement for you to tell them. YOu do not pose a threat to anyone's health by working in food service, but the irrational fear that surrounds this issue is huge and could cause you to be shut out of what you do best.

Please always think about your goal when you tell someone about your HIV. If it's to make you feel more "honest," please reconsider. There are lots of personal things we shouldn't tell employers, because they're personal. Medical information is personal and confidential. You are not required to disclose it to an employer except when a specific condition (vision impairment, for example) would make it difficult for you to do a specific job (like driving a truck). HIV does not prevent you from doing a good job in food service.

Previous
Does ADA cover Churchworkers?
Next
wet or dry?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.